Skip to main content

Black History Month Celebrations


Last Friday, I went to an event at my sons high school. He was working the sound board for the Black history performances put on by their Black Leadership Council. I was amazed and at several points during the program I cried. These young adults performed original poetry that was simply amazing. I always find it fascinating to hear about how social issues affect our youth. They are scared, they are looking for guidance but they are ready to lead and are hungry for opportunities to do so. It made me feel good about what I already do to connect youth with strong mentors but it also made me think about what more I can be doing to start those partnerships and really make an impact where it matters. I was also moved by the steppers, and various dance performances. They were all very unique and had a powerful message. I love that our Somali brothers and sisters shared their heritage through dance with us as well. Black and Africans need to do more to break down the invisible wall and make connections and celebrate what makes us different but also and most importantly talk about what makes us the same.

One thing that did sadden me was the lack of diversity in the audience. This is not to shun or blame anyone but to speak to a larger point. Black History Month is not for just for Black people. It is an opportunity for everyone and anyone who is curious, wants to learn more and get connected to come and do that. Not just for Black History Month either. Latino American Heritage month-- all celebrations that allow us as a multi-cultural community to learn more about our neighbors are a blessing. When we learn, we understand, we become excited and we embrace that experience. We all hear the buzz phrase "aha moment". When you step outside of your comfort zone and seek to explore that which you do not understand, it does broaden your perspective.The fact is that people want to share who they are. People want to be accepted for who they are. They want to share. They want others, especially those who do not look like them to join in their experiences. I really hope that as a community we start to support these events more and dig deep to come out of our comfort zone. I thought it was wonderful that the counselor called me to personally invite me, but I think we need to make more of an effort to invite everyone else. Not just robo call either. I think a hand written note from the kids, saying how hard they worked and why they want everyone to come would be awesome and get more of who needs to be in the seats..in the seats.

I had 3 big take away's from the high school performance. The first one was from an African young man who said that that our history did not begin with slavery. We came from Kings and Queens and great wealth. That made me cry. It encouraged me to continue to look up my ancestry and find out where I really come from. New information is set to be released this Spring, so many African Americans/Black people will be able to track exactly where they came from prior to slavery and make those connections to their roots. That connection is important and very powerful.

The second thing that moved me was young people wanting to get out of the hood. This is something I have always heard. We often use it as a gauge of success. The hood being our neighborhood. But what if success was remaining? Reclaiming? Revitalizing our neighborhoods? That is a beautiful thought to me. That is not to fault anyone who leaves. I left my old neighborhood and did not go back. It is just a thought. A construct. Just think of the amazing things we could do to help drive diversity in our neighborhoods and help not only each other... but the kids, the schools, and the overall improvement of the area where we live. No matter where you live, how great would it be to see an increase in Black business?

The last thing that made me smile was the presentation on Black Wall Street. It was basically all about what I described in my previous paragraph. We often focus on what stopped the movement but we did it before and we can most definitely do it again. Please watch this video, very informational and educational if you are not familiar with what this was.

Black History month is not just a month. It is life. We should all be seeking to learn more about each other. When we understand each other we can: work together, form stronger bonds and most importantly support one another.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sgt. Jeff Rothecker apology

There are so many things wrong with this. The Mayor of St. Paul was correct that an apology was in order. However, A lot of things go into an apology. Some off the hip forced gesture is certainly not going to pacify anyone and I for one do not consider it an apology. The community is not going to heal overnight. They need to process what happened and true healing cannot begin until an open and honest statement is made. I personally would feel better if he would have just admitted that his comments were inappropriate and asked for forgiveness.  That forgiveness asking is what was missing here. He also should have asked local community leaders to help him work to repair the damage by performing community outreach and engaging in dialogue with that community.   But, he did not do any of that. He made excuses and made and gave an explanation that made no sense. He is not sorry for his insensitive comments and for trying to incite a killing spree.  He is sorry that he was outed, embarras

The Flint Crisis-Who is to blame?

Today’s topic starts with another inappropriate apology. We all know the present crisis of contaminated water and lead poisoning among Flint residents. But let’s peel back the onion a bit here. Michigan Gov. Rick Snyder   gave a   State of the State address   Tuesday night, following remarks he made a day earlier on how he's made mistakes in handling the   Flint, Mich., water crisis. "I'm sorry and I will fix it," Snyder said near the opening of his speech, directly addressing the residents of Flint. "Government failed you at the federal, state and local level." And…pause. First of all a mistake is an understatement. Secondly, it was local officials who made the decision to change the water source so why add higher government into the mix as far as failures? By his own admittance, he never called a state of emergency to ask for Federal help. This issue really came to a head and received national attention from local residents speaking out, filin

Judicial system reform

Like it or not, even with reform, the police are not going anywhere. While I do think reform needs to be on a Federal level. There is also work that needs to be done at the local and city level as well in conjunction with that reform. Each community is different, faces a variety of distance challenges and so it requires a different lens from place to place. This is not an attack on police officers. Of course there are the ones who do their job with integrity and uphold the law and citizens they swore to protect. But we are not talking about them. We are talking about the other officers. The ones who use muscle memory as an excuse to shoot someone, the ones who show up and start shooting and asking questions later, the ones who profile. On the topic of reform and integration police need to be properly integrated into the community that they serve. If I sat here long enough, I could think of a laundry list of things, but at the most basic and human level of things, reform needs to inc